31 July 2014

Boats! Baby Quilt


Boats, boats, boats!  That's pretty much what a coastal Maine summer becomes if you have anybody even slightly nautical in your life :)

This little quilt is a celebration of a new baby who will certainly (especially now) grow up to be a boat lover!




With 20 red, teal, apple green, navy, and aqua sailboats cruising along it, this quilt measures up at about 42 x 54 inches.  I deliberately used many different fabrics for a scrappy look but stuck closely to each boat's color for contrast against the white.


The inspiration for this quilt was a specific request for the design, and a bit outside my usual quilting repertoire, so I looked at as many sailboat quilts as I could to figure out the layout and placement.  Mine are made of 2-inch (finished) HSTs and squares, so that each boat creates an 8-inch (finished) block.  I added 1-inch sashing between each boat, and a 3.5-inch (I think) outer white border to give the blocks some space.


The backing is a cheater print from Birch Fabric's Set Sail, and was a starting point when I was picking colors from the front. Such a fantastic palette for a boy, but would work equally well for a girl! When it came to quilting, I stitched simple straight lines along the "patchwork" of the backing to give it some structure while keeping it soft, too.


Finally, for binding I chose a half-inch red stripe, in keeping with the nautical feel, of course! I love it, especially all rolled up into a squishy package!

6 comments:

  1. This is super cute and I love the cheater fabric on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cuteness! And fabulous backing too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous quilt! Love the scrappy sailboats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As cute as it possible can get. :-)
    Thanks for showing, an the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very special. Another great stashbuster!! I just finished a sailboat quilt, too, for a new baby's nautical themed room. Such fun. I hail originally from Cape Eliz.! Pass through Maine twice a year now, to visit family, friends, and go birding.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, nice to see you! Sorry about the word verification but I've been flooded with spam messages recently. Thanks for commenting!