19 May 2015

Cosmic Red and White Baby Quilt



As part of my recent dive back into doing more sewing, I decided to tackle some WIPs.  I found these three Sun, Please!  blocks (from two years ago!) and decided to feature them on a simple, gender-neutral red and white baby quilt.


This quilt measures about 42 inches square, and I love the contrast created by the simple layout and palette against the intricate paper-pieced block design of the suns.




On the back, I decided to feature another languishing old block, one for a star that I hope to post a pattern for soon. (I also used it for most of my paper-piecing tips visuals.) I was happy to include it on the otherwise solid red background.




Since the quilt layout is so simple, I added texture with an irregular diamonds quilting pattern, where some lines are doubled up. This resulted in somewhat denser quilting and stiffer overall feeling of the finished quilt. I also find that when I do any diagonal quilting, the finished product turns out to be more crinkly and puffy.  


For a bit more contrast, binding is made up of more red and white, with the red parts asymmetrically framing each corner.


Three suns and a star - certainly cosmic.

1 comment:

  1. This is super cute! And what a great way to set "like" orphan blocks...I am feeling inspired, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, nice to see you! Sorry about the word verification but I've been flooded with spam messages recently. Thanks for commenting!